Cavalier County, ND
Cavalier County, ND is located in the northeastern part of the state. The Cavalier County Tax Director’s office sought to modernize its GIS and land records workflows. They hoped to accomplish this by migrating its agriculture land calculations to a system that checks and calculates countywide agricultural parcels, soils, and land use at one time. At the same time, Cavalier County desired to display their results utilizing Sidwell’s Portico website. The county decided that GIS technology was the best solution to address these needs. Together, Sidwell and the County entered into a contract to develop a solution.
- Before performing data conversion services, Sidwell first reviewed all existing agricultural land calculations.
- The county struggled with consistency with agricultural valuations according to state guidelines. Past records were done by hand with no boundary lines other than a legal description and hand measured acres for soils and land use.
- Sidwell performed a GIS analysis within the tax director’s office to determine the best workflows to fit the needs of the county.
- The analysis showed original lines did not match the aerial imagery; thereby rendering an inaccurate delineation of soils and land use assigned to crop, non-crop, and water due to the poor quality of the aerial imagery.
- Sidwell proposed a spatial adjustment to correct any inaccuracies.
- Recommendations were presented to determine the best path to modernize the county’s land valuation process.
- Sidwell provided the county access to converted and enhanced data using FARMS.
- The county is now able to manage their agricultural land valuation utilizing the latest technology, Sidwell’s FARMS.
- They have streamlined their workflows and have integrated the process of managing their GIS and Tax data.
- They are now able to easily deploy accurate and reliable data to the public using their Portico website.
- Users now have a report which completely explains the North Dakota method of valuing agricultural land for assessment purposes.
What They Had To Say
We are now able to produce wonderful reports to our constituents and share data with other governmental departments that we were unable to in the past. We are also able to add data layers to our current mapping system, which is a key component for other offices within Cavalier County. [Sidwell] has provided excellent training and technical support for our county departments.
Patty LaFrenzCavalier County, ND, Tax Director
- Client: Cavalier County, ND
- Project Details: FARMS, Portico
- County Statistics:
Area: 1,510 sq. miles
Density: 2.7/sq mi
(*as of 2017 census)