Town of Chesterton, IN
The Town of Chesterton, IN is is located in Porter County in northwest Indiana near the shore of Lake Michigan. The Chesterton Utility Department wanted to integrate inspection and maintenance data with their GIS project and modernize their sewer system inspection process using mobile data collection capabilities. Chesterton Utility contracted Sidwell to deploy a GIS field data collection workflow for performing the liftstation inspections on a mobile device and importing this information into an Esri File Geodatabase. This implemented solution for collecting the inspection information is ArcGIS Online using the Collector Application for ArcGIS on iPads.
- The town needed a better way to manage their sewer system maintenance data and reporting requirements for inspections.
- Lift station inspections that are performed twice weekly were conducted using paper forms.
- Inspection and paper reports were stored in file cabinets and would need to refer to them when the town needed to determine a history of servicing.
- Sidwell created a geodatabase to mirror the information on the current paper inspection form.
- Sidwell assisted the town to establish an ArcGIS Online organization and member group for five field users.
- A customized Esri Collector application form provided streamlined checklist for the field staff to fill out inspection information on iPads, where the data is stored on a web service layer that can be accessed in the office in real-time.
- Chesterton has been able to enhance the use of GIS data and workflows to streamline utility operations.
- The town now has a digital record of all inspections and a history for each lift station and can access all inspections in the GIS.
- Client: Town of Chesterton (IN)
- Project Details: Collector App
- Industry: Government, Local Government, Town Government