Franklin County, PA
- Prior to the creation of the parcel fabric dataset, GIS in the county struggled to tie certain data sets together in a meaningful way.
- Sidwell staff performed research and a document survey to determine what source documents were available to develop the GIS.
- Many documents were old and fragile. Thus, Sidwell used its document capture systems to photograph them and convert them to digital format, on-site.
- GIS technicians performed preliminary layout using any available survey monuments and orthophotography.
- Sidwell’s staff mapped out 72,000 parcels using right of way (ROW) center lines, boundaries, and dimensions from legal descriptions.
- The mapping was loaded into Esri’s LGIM and Parcel Fabric model.
- Improved the accuracy of other functional GIS datasets such as parks and recreation, cemeteries, and 911 emergency operations layers.
- The county received a successful GIS project completed on time and within the budget they assigned.
Highlights and Integration
- Franklin County also implemented Sidwell’s Parcel Administrator Suite to assist them in protecting their investment by efficiently maintaining their data.
- Sidwell staff provided training to support the maintenance workflow of their new data model system.
- GIS operations have grown in Franklin County, and has operated in nearly every department within the county to provide information for enhanced decision making.
What They Had To Say
We knew the power of what a common base layer like the parcel fabric dataset could do for our GIS operations, and it did not disappoint. Our excitement stemmed from the ability to connect our data in a more meaningful way via the parcels. It was like turning on a light in a dark room. Today our GIS has performed functions not even imagined at the time of initial creation of the parcel dataset because of its incorporation into our daily operations.
Kevin EatonFranklin County, PA, Former GIS Coordinator
- Client: Franklin County, PA
- Project Details: Parcel Fabric, Parcel Administrator, LGIM, Training & Support
- County Statistics:
Area: 773 sq. miles
Density: 199/sq mi
(*as of 2017 census)