Franklin County, PA
Franklin County, PA is located in south central Pennsylvania and lies, to a large extent, in the Cumberland Valley. This project began as a challenging GIS construction from scratch using original land records from the county. Now the county’s records and data have been updated to the latest technology utilizing the Local Government Information Model (LGIM). The project included cadastral data development, workflow analysis, geodatabase design, installing Parcel Administrator Software, and training.
- Prior to the creation of the parcel fabric dataset, GIS in the county struggled to tie certain datasets together in a meaningful way.
- Sidwell staff performed research and a document survey to determine what source documents were available to develop the GIS.
- Many documents were old and fragile, so Sidwell used its document capture systems to photograph them and convert them to digital format, on-site.
- GIS technicians performed preliminary layout using any available survey monuments and orthophotography.
- Sidwell’s staff mapped out 72,000 parcels using right of way (ROW) centerlines, boundaries, and dimensions from legal descriptions.
- The mapping was loaded into Esri’s LGIM and Parcel Fabric model.
- The county received a successful GIS project completed on time and within the budget they assigned.
Product Highlights and Integration
- Franklin County also implemented Sidwell’s Parcel Administrator Suite to assist them in protecting their investment by efficiently maintaining their data.
- Sidwell staff provided training to support the maintenance workflow of their new data model system.
- GIS operations have grown in Franklin County, and has operated within nearly every department within the county to provide information for enhanced decision making.
What They Had To Say
“We knew the power of what a common base layer like the parcel fabric dataset could do for our GIS operations, and it did not disappoint. Our excitement stemmed from the ability to connect our data in a more meaningful way via the parcels. It was like turning on a light in a dark room. Today our GIS has performed functions not even imagined at the time of initial creation of the parcel dataset because of its incorporation into our daily operations”
Kevin Eaton, Franklin County GIS Coordinator
- Client: Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- Service/Solution: Parcel Fabric, Parcel Administrator, LGIM
- Industry: Government, County Government