Fresno County, CA
Fresno County, CA maintained approximately 9,000 assessor maps, only half of which were digital, and the rest still in Mylar, or pen-and-ink. Converting the existing assessor map data would require geospatial reconciliation with the countywide GIS parcel layer. A solution would require both the maintenance of the assessor map data and parcels as part of the same workflow after migration. Thus, the county was careful about selecting the new technology and the correct partner that would assist them reaching their goals.
Previously, Sidwell analyzed the county’s existing land records management system in the Assessor’s Office and eventually recommended migrating to the parcel fabric. Fresno County became one of the first counties not only in California, but across the nation to move to the parcel fabric model. The impact was seen immediately as the county’s two sets of parcel data, public works and assessors, were migrated into one model to help the staff perform fewer edits.
- Older technology platforms prevented the county from being able to modernize their system
- Mapping workflows and applications were not integrated with one another, creating duplication of data and effort. This would cause a “version lock” since some applications were not being incorporated into newer versions of software.
- The countywide dataset was converted to the Parcel Fabric to take advantage of the advances developed by Esri.
- Assessor Map Publication with Map Plotter: Produced assessor maps,
- APN Management with Parcel Administrator: Sidwell’s Parcel Administrator configured with the parcel fabric to provide the county with a better way to manage parcel numbers, create tax rate area assignments, and reduce duplicate entries.
- The county now has a fully-modernized parcel maintenance environment in ArcGIS that reduces duplicate entry.
- Now only one department is needed to do parcel mapping for GIS consumption and statutory map publication.
- The county can now take full advantage of the full ArcGIS Solution, including ArcGIS Online.
- Client: Fresno County, California
- Service/Solution: Parcel Fabric, Map Plotter, Parcel Administrator
- Industry: Government, County Government