Fulton County, GA
Fulton County, GA is one of several counties that comprise the Atlanta metropolitan area. It has a long history of implementing GIS technology to support daily operations. Used by many county departments and outside agencies, the county GIS was surviving with limited staff and dated technology. When Sidwell arrived onsite in 2009 for initial discussions and evaluations, we learned their GIS implementation was starting to become antiquated and a burden to administer.
Much of Fulton County’s GIS was developed on legacy Esri ArcInfo technology and open source solutions. Existing staff had coupled these solutions with multiple, automated workflows to best serve the needs of the county to that point. Additionally, many staff were considering retirement packages being offered by the county and administration needed to secure their institutional knowledge, modernize solutions, and implement best practices.
Print this Story: Fulton County, GA
- The cadastral data was often misaligned with aerial imagery and substandard mapping procedures were used for data entry, which caused months of processing and forced municipalities to implement their own parcel maintenance routines.
- Using legacy Esri solutions, Fulton County found that routine procedures were being used to troubleshoot breakdowns on a daily basis.
- After realizing their operations would fail if this process continued, the decision was made to modernize GIS-centric land record workflows.
- Sidwell began with a very involved workflow analysis to learn what the needs and issues were.
- Got the land records workflow into the most current GIS platform from Esri.
- Parcel Administrator solutions were recommended for better management.
- A Workflow Tracking System was implemented to digitally track documents and enforce work being performed along each step.
- Fulton’s Legacy Esri coverage data format was converted into a modern geodatabase to achieve a highly streamlined maintenance as well as an easy deployment and publication environment.
- Training was recommended to get the staff up-to-speed quickly.
Fulton County now has one of their key maintenance workflows embedded into their enterprise GIS plan.
- Fulton has streamlined their parcel maintenance operations.
- They have shortened the life-cycle of document processing.
- Fulton can also easily deploy their data across their jurisdiction and to the public.
- Client: Fulton County, GA
- Project Details: Workflow Analysis, Technology Upgrade
- Industry: Government, County Government, Local Government
- Date: 2009