Whiteside County, IL
Whiteside County, IL is a rural county in northwestern Illinois with a GIS department maintained by one individual staff member. The county recently transitioned to Esri’s Local Government Information Model (LGIM) to better manage their GIS data and take advantage of Esri’s Solutions and Templates and ArcGIS Online. Additionally, the county’s data is organized in Esri’s Parcel Fabric data model. Leveraging these technologies have provided many more opportunities to share information and services the county provides with staff and the public.
Whiteside County is a leader in small county government tech, not just in the state of Illinois, but across the nation. The county now happily enjoys the benefits of the parcel fabric model.
- The county’s GIS department is working with limited staffing, thus making it difficult to maintain and archive old parcels.
- Before moving to the LGIM and Parcel Fabric, some parcels were found to be mapped inaccurately.
- The county desired the ability to hold on to archives and view historical parcels, rather than overwrite the data once an update was made. Existing technology did not have the capabilities to store historical data in a fluid manner.
Migration to a Parcel Fabric
- Countywide conversion of 37,000 parcels
- Conversion of parcel & lot dimensions, easements, and roads to the fabric dimension layer
- Configuration of Parcel Administrator for parcel fabric maintenance
- Setup and configuration of FARMS for use with LGIM
- Sidwell provided onsite installation & geodatabase delivery and configuration
- On-site parcel fabric focused cadastral maintenance training
- Historic parcels can now easily be maintained and viewed at anytime. For instance, if a land record (parcel) is split into multiples or combined, that historical data is accessible and can be referenced if needed.
- The capabilities of editing in the fabric has condensed the amount of labor in editing and made the workflow more efficient.
- The public can now more easily access county data. They can view historical records and view parcel locations.
- Sidwell supported the transition of county data into the LGIM model, allowing county staff to greatly widen the breadth of their GIS capabilities. Their model allowed for rich mapping applications to be easily develop including: a polling place finder, elected representatives map, a school locator app, a tax parcel viewer, and other assessment info on the county’s GIS website.
What They Had To Say
- Project: Parcel Fabric Data Conversion
- Client: Whiteside County, IL
- Service / Solution: Parcel Fabric, FARMS, LGIM Parcel Administrator
- Industry: Government, County Government, Local Government