Whiteside County, IL
Whiteside County is a rural county in northwestern Illinois with a GIS department maintained by one staff member. The county recently transitioned to Esri’s Local Government Information Model (LGIM) to better manage their GIS data and take advantage of Esri’s Solutions and Templates, and ArcGIS Online. Additionally, the county’s cadastral data is organized in Esri’s Parcel Fabric data model. Leveraging these technologies has provided many more opportunities to share information and services the county provides with staff and the public.
Whiteside County is a leader in small county government technology, not just in the state of Illinois, but across the nation. The county now happily enjoys the benefits of the parcel fabric model.
- The county’s GIS department is working with limited staffing; thus, making it difficult to maintain and archive old parcels.
- Before moving to the LGIM and Parcel Fabric, some parcels were found to be mapped inaccurately.
- The county desired the ability to hold on to archives and view historical parcels, rather than overwrite the data once an update was made. Existing technology did not have the capabilities to store historical data in a fluid manner.
Sidwell supported the Whiteside County GIS Department with multiple enhancements including:
- Countywide conversion of 37,000 parcels.
- Conversion of parcel & lot dimensions, easements, and roads to a fabric dimension layer.
- Configuration of Parcel Administrator for parcel fabric maintenance.
- Setup and configuration of FARMS for use with LGIM.
- Sidwell provided onsite installation, and geodatabase delivery and configuration.
- On site parcel fabric focused cadastral maintenance training.
- Historic parcels can now easily be maintained and viewed at anytime. For instance, if a land record (parcel) is split into multiples, or combined, that historical data is accessible and can be referenced if needed.
- The capabilities of editing in the parcel fabric has condensed the amount of labor in editing and made the workflow more efficient.
- The public can now more easily access county data. They can view historical records and view parcel locations.
- Sidwell supported the transition of county data into the LGIM model, allowing county staff to greatly widen the breadth of their GIS capabilities. Their model allowed for rich mapping applications to be easily develop including a polling place finder, elected representatives map, a school locator app, a tax parcel viewer, and other assessment info on the county’s GIS website.
What They Had To Say
- Client: Whiteside County, IL
- Project Details: Parcel Fabric, Parcel Administrator, FARMS, LGIM
- County Statistics:
Area: 697 sq. miles
Density: 85/sq. mi
(*as of 2010 census)